Commercial Food Waste

Household Food and Biodegradable Waste
The European Union (Household Food Waste and Bio-Waste) Regulations, 2015 impose obligations on Householders living in specified areas to:

  • segregate household food waste and keep it separate from other non-biodegradable waste, and have it separately collected by an authorised waste collector, and
  • prohibit the disposal of food waste in the residual waste collection (the black bin).
  • Householders may alternatively:

  • Compost the food waste at home, or
  • Bring the food waste to authorised treatment centres, for recovery in an environmentally acceptable way, such as civic amenity sites, or anaerobic digestion sites.
  • These regulations impose obligations on Waste Collectors to:

  • provide a separate collection service for food waste from households in agglomerations of greater than 500 people (see below),
  • include in its separate food waste collection service the direct provision of an approved reusable waste receptacle to the address of each household customer,
  • collect at least once a fortnight, or more frequently where necessary, and
  • transfer the food waste collected to an authorised facility for the purposes of an authorised treatment process.

  • Agglomerations in Waterford obligated under the European Union (Household Food Waste and Bio-Waste) Regulations, 2015 as of Census 2016

  • Ballinroad
  • Cappoquin
  • Dungarvan
  • Dunmore East
  • Kilmacthomas
  • Lismore
  • Passage East
  • Portlaw
  • Tallow
  • Tramore
  • Waterford city and suburbs
  • If you live in one of these agglomerations and your waste collector does not offer a brown bin, please report this to the council's enviroment section, by email to or phone 0761 102020.

    It is an offence to place food waste arising as part of household waste in your residual (black) bin.

    Further information on using your brown bin and avoiding foodwaste is available from;