Licences & Permits

Casual Trading
For queries regarding casual trading in Waterford, or the Waterford City Market, please contact Finn Brophy on 051-849513.

Please read the Adopted Casual Trading (Control and Designation) Bylaws 2021 for information on the locations of Designated Casual Trading Areas and the rules for applying and trading.

Please Note: Availability is limited and not all locations designated in the bye laws are available.


Outdoor Seating
If you own a café, restaurant, hotel or bar, you can apply to Waterford City & County Council to put tables and chairs on the footpath outside, this is known as a Section 254 Licence. In order to qualify for this scheme you must serve food to the public that can be eaten onsite.

Note: Not everyone can use this service because not every premises has a suitable space outside.

To apply for a Section 254 Licence you must:

  • Complete an application form
  • Pay a fee of €125 per table
  • Ensure there is a minimum of 2m unobstructed footpath remaining after the installation of tables and chairs
  • For queries regarding outdoor seating, please contact Finn Brophy on 051-849513.

    Outdoor Event Licences
    ‌‌An Outdoor Event Licence will be required if you are planning an outdoor event which will have an audience of 5,000 or more people. An outdoor event is defined as a public performance which takes place primarily in the open air or in a structure with no roof, temporary or retractable roof, a tent or similar temporary structure and which consists of music, dancing, public entertainment etc. The Licence Application must be submitted at least 16 weeks prior to the date of the event. If you are thinking of holding an outdoor event and are unsure if you will need a licence, please contact Finn Brophy on 051 849 513.

  • Event Licence Application Form
  • Download this information leaflet outlining what must be included in a Licence Application

  • Building & Fire Regulations
    The following forms are available here :

  • Application for a Fire Safety Certificate
  • Application for copies of Fire Safety Certificate Documents
  • Application for Retrieval of Fire Safety Certificate Documents
  • Guidance Notes - Application for a Fire Safety Certificate
  • Petroleum Licence Application form
  • Guidance Notes - Information to accompany Petroleum Licence Applications
  • Application for Fire Safety Regularisation Certificate
  • Statutory Declaration - Fire Safety Regularisation Certificate
  • Application for a Revised Fire Safety Certificate
  • Application Form for Disability Access Certificate
  • Application form for Revised Disability Access Certificate